Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Top of my s--t list: John Ensign. (DC gun control in the DC Voting Act)

I am going rogue for a second here (OK, I know this expression was ruined, well it was in my book at least, by the SNL parody of Pain/McCain campaign but I can’t think of a better phrase right now.) (To tell you the truth, I actually want to go rogue a lot on this blog because I somtimes have a temper, which I have learned to control with maturing age, especially when it comes to injustice. (I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing to get fired up over injustice though.)
I know that representatives have for a long time been legislating in DC, its become a tradition I guess - using the District as a guinea pig for their own constituents' and big donors' (NRS in this case) programs, this issue is particularly worthy of criticism.

Who does this John Ensign, Nevada senator (R, like you couldn’t guess) think he is? He and a bunch of his fellow friends wrote in a clause to the DC Voting Rights Act that would repeal DC gun control law that prohibits people who have a history of violence from buying guns. Nice. These out-of-touch politicians oppose any gun registration as an unnecessary burden on the 2nd Amendment. (Which, by the way, Justice Scalia disagreed with in Heller.) I am a DC native – born and raised on Capitol Hill and live there now – and I am peeved. This is honestly the epitome of corrupt legislative maneuvering and the hypocrisy of the Republican party. These two points are highlighted nicely in the Wash Post Sunday by DC council member at large Phil Mendelson.

On the first point, what does this Nevada Senator know about DC? If he has a place here, it’s in Georgetown or Spring Valley where the only guns people own are million dollar antiques in the family's hunting room next to a elephant head they shot on the last safari to Africa. Clearly they know nothing about the severity of gun related violence in DC. (I know the argument, outlawing guns and gun registration isn’t a guarantee to stop gun violence, but you know what it can’t hurt.) I mean, I can’t believe he cares this much (read: gets that much money from the NRA) that he wouldn’t advocate registration, especially with all the recent school related gun violence. And the shooting the Largo on the front page of the Post today. And the list could go on.

On the second point don’t republicans advocate for local rule – states rights? Less government? Oh wait, that doesn’t apply to women’s bods and guns or anything those out of touch social conservatives care about.

This idiot sits in his ivory tower, built by NRA contributions and a total divorce from reality of inner city urban America.

1 comment:

Bellwether said...

Hey! I live in Spring Valley and understand the importance of gun laws in this city! :) btw, Cud 7, how come you post as mccaffray?