Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Red meat is bad in mass quantities: Worst news I've heard in years.

I know some seriously bad stuff goes down in the Middle East, but THIS is the worst news I've heard in years. ("Daily Red Meat Raises Chances of Dying Early")

It's so bad and heeding the results would so detrimental to my lifestyle, I'm actually going to forget I ever read it, after I write this posting.

I'm seriously pissed at whomever conducted this study. I'm also pissed at the Wash Post editors who chose to run it, and on the front page. Can't you hide in that random Tuesday Health section?

OK, why am I mad? I eat red meat and pork all the time. (In fact, no less than 5 people emailed me this article today.) For breakfast this morning I had two sausage patties. (Granted they were from the local organic meat farm down here.) I had two yesterday morning. I also eat a lot of bacon. The other night I had pork chops. I have pork chops a lot. Don't even get me started on my fondness of pork belly. I am obsessed with charcuterie: I eat a little bit/ a lot of prosciutto and sopprasetta almost every night. I don't eat pork loin though bc it doesn't have enough fat. My story with red meat is even more romantic. I am obsessed with burgers with american cheese and mayonnaise I eat them at least 3 times a week. I also eat a lot of ribeyes (not NY strips, like pork loin, not enough fat) and lamb chops, and rack of lamb. My favorite dishes are sweetbreads (no study needed to show how bad these are for you, they're like little fried (or occasionally not fried) cholesterol balls) (try the ones at Bistro Bis on E ST in DC, delicious.) Have you ever had beef cheeks? They are divine. I'm over Central (restaurant in DC), but I'd go there any day for their beef cheeks. I also love veal cheeks and veal chops and veal scallopini.

Because I am equally obsessed with full bodied red wine, I am banking on this counteracting the red meat and pork thing. Looking for a good wine? Drink Avalon.

Last obsession, just because I already listed pork and read meat and red wine: Raw Oysters.

I feel like a more personal, fun posting telling you all (not that anyone reads my blog) a little bit about me good for this blog and our relationship.

2 comments:

Liz Powers said...

Awesome

Flournoy said...

Awesome awesome awesome. You still got a little Texas in you after all these years! I forgot about your feeding habits. No wonder we dated. Off to eat some bloody steak (as I did last night).