Sunday, April 19, 2009

1 boo for Obama's pick for Undersecretary for Public Diplomacy




So as not to ruin any potential possible future career with the State Dept. I am going to lightly skirt around this issue.

I was not thrilled with Obama's pick for Undersecretary for Public Diplomacy. (I am also agreeing with Marc Lynch - he has nothing against Judith McHale, as he states, but thinks Obama could have done better and has some good reasons.) I am sure Judith McHale is a great person and is clearly accomplished .(CEO of Discovery communications, major microfinancing projects in Africa, etc). But despite the past 8 years, diplomacy is actually a field, it is an art, it is a skill, it is crucial; I don't know whether her CV is perfect for this position. (Lynch laid out some great public diplomacy priorities last month.)

I know, who am I to criticize, but I am just so nervous after the Karen Hughes DEBACLE.

I know McHale isn't the Middle East North Africa (MENA) representative, but the region is probably our most important challenge and goal in terms of public diplomacy right now. I think winning over the 'hearts and minds' in the region could be relatively easy, but it will take a special person; by special I mean someone who speaks Arabic, and understands the nuances of the region - history, culture, politics, religion.
Bare with my self-centered hypocrisy briefly:

I think I could be a great face for America in the MENA region. I've found that Arabs and Muslims, in general, like me; I've always been well received in the region. Take a look at my public diplomacy work here Mr. President and Madame Secretary: (picture above, I can't get it to move down here.) When I went to visit all my friends in Morocco last summer from Peace Corps, I brought everyone Obama t-shirts. You can see one on my friend Saadia's husband Hassan.
Anyway, I will continue with my public diplomacy CV later. I have to go to dinner; because of working on this blog I have been late to every single plan I had this weekend.


No comments: