Monday, April 13, 2009

Ding Dong: Fred Ikle rings the alarm

And I thought it wouldn't get more alarmist than Robert Kaplan's oped yesterday, which I posted on yesterday, see right below this.

Fred C. Ikle, who I am not familiar with but who managed a job at CSIS, wrote an oped that was not worthy of publishing in today's Wash Post. It is alarmist and FULL of assumptions.

I decided to rank them.

And the winner is....

Gold Medal:
Ikle states that because terrorists are more brutal than pirates, they can easily force them to share their ransom money.
I try not to be to extremist on this site and to be tempered and rational, but this is too much. This is totally idiotic. It's like he is reducing the pirate- terrorist relationship to a bully and a nancy on the playground. It's Bush logic.

Silver Medal:
He writes that because America's military cannot establish law and order iit is an idea fortress for gloabl terroists. Actually where the military is creates haven fro terroists as well - ie, AQI in Iraq. There are many failed states int he world that are not terroist havens. The US military has a tough time creating law and order anywhere inth e MENA region. (This, by the way, is not a stab at the military by the way, it is a stab at bad policies that send the military into unwinnable wars.)

Bronze medal:
I have to go do other work, which I have been ignoring since I started this blog to a disgusting extent.

No comments: