Monday, April 6, 2009

Turkey time.

Obama's speech to the Turkish parliament was a real piece of diplomacy. He spoke at length on many topics - shared goals, shared history (of atrocities), shared values. He discussed the country's potential to be a bridge between Europe (and the US) and the Muslim World. While it faces hurdles - welcoming the Kurds into the governing structure, pushing out hard line military figures and extremist nationalists, confronting the role Turks had in orchestrating and carrying out the Armenian genocide - Turkey seems on a path to being an industrialized state with economic opportunity, civil society institutions, civil and political liberties and a majority Muslim population.

Here is a video of the speech and here is the transcript.

By extending a hand to the Muslim World, Obama continues to isolate extremists, making it difficult for them to rally moderates under the banner of anti Americanism.

"America's relationship with the Muslim world cannot and will not be based on opposition to al-Qaeda"

"Our partnership with the Muslim world is critical in rolling back a fringe ideology that people of all faiths reject," Obama told the assembly. " . . . The future must belong to those who create, not those who destroy. That is the future we must work for, and we must work for it together."

Article in the Wash Post on Obama's visit.
Article in Independent by Robert Fisk on whether Obama will fulfill campaign pledge and push Turks to recognize the Armenian genocide.
Article in Financial Times.
Juan Cole analyzes diffeent sections of the speech.
Report by Steven Cook of Council Foreign Relations, "The Evolving Role of Turkey in Mideast Peace Diplomacy."
Brookings Turkey reports/ articles archive.
Oped by Roger Cohen in NYTimes on a conversation he had with PM Erdogan.
I like this section from Cohen's article:
I asked Erdogan if Islam and modernity were compatible. “Islam is a religion,” he said, “It is not an ideology. For a Muslim, there is no such thing as to be against modernity. Why should a Muslim not be a modern person? I, as a Muslim, fulfill all the requirements of my religion and I live in a democratic, social state. Can there be difficulties? Yes. But they will be resolved at the end of a maturity period so long as there is mutual trust.”

The problem is, of course, that Islam has been deployed as an ideology in the anti-modern, murderous, death-to-the-West campaign of Al-Qaeda. But Erdogan is right: Islam is one of the great world religions. Obama’s steps to reassert that truth, and so bridge the most dangerous division in the world, are of fundamental strategic importance.

Synthesis begins with understanding, which is precisely what never interested his predecessor."





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another “Islam is wonderful” moment.

Too bad Islam is at war with us. Read the Quran - It is very clear about the command to fight infidels. The fact is that almost every mosque in the Islamic world preaches hate and violence against non-Muslims. Every Muslim country discriminates aganist non-Muslims.

Pathetic! Obama is a fool.

Kactuz

PS: yes, I understand islam!

Nope said...

Dear Kactuz,

Omigods! You've been to every mosque? I am so jealous. Like, so jealous. I've only been to a few, and you know, only those big ones in Damascus, Jerusalem, Beirut, and Cairo. I bet they knew I was coming, and that's why they hid all that hateful preaching. I bet Osama Bin Laden was there *every* time, and they held him in a closet despite his desire to decapitate me, urgently whispering in his ear, "the time is not yet nigh, dear leader."
I totally agree; the Quran is *all* about fighting infidels. And such bullshit, right? I mean, the loving God of the Old Testament is *sooo* much nicer! I mean, Job was being so histrionic. I always thought he should grow a pair.
Where did you learn so much about Islam? Did you watch a clip from MEMRI? Dude, you have to post it. One clip from MEMRI and I will know everything I ever needed to know about Islam and more. I'll be armed not only with my bigotry, but with my defensiveness about my bigotry. Always a wonderful way to start a dialogue. Thanks for the heads up!

McCaffray said...

(This is the blog author.)I thought about not responding bc I think you are too far gone, but since I can’t let things go and love a good argument: Actually, I have read the Quran. And when I read it I put it in context. Ever read the section about protected people of the book? Second of all, have you ever read the old and new testament? All are full of violence and contradictions. So if that violence preached in a religion's holy book is evidence that a religion is violent - then Christianity and Judaism are too. #2 You have you been to every mosque in the Islamic world??? Are you in the Guinness book of world records or something? Wow. You must be old. And tired. Bu really, I kind of doubt that. So your evidence on both counts kind of stinks. Also, I find the entire basis of your argument to be wrong: In my book, religion is not violent – people are violent bc of lack of political expression, lack of economic opportunity, lack of social services, lack of civil society. Religion just legitimizes their violence. I'd suggest reading Marc Sagemen Understanding Terrorist Network, or if you don’t have time with all your mosque visits, even George Packer’s article from a couple years ago in the New Yorker on understanding radicalization and extremism. http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2006/12/18/061218fa_fact2